Thursday, May 23, 2013

Return from Japan

Nearly one week has passed since we made the long journey back from Japan, where has the time gone? I find myself missing many things from Japan: the wonderful cuisine, the extremely efficient public transportation, and the bustling city of Tokyo. As soon as we got off the plane in Detroit the difference between the United States and Japan started to jump out immediately: signs in English, walking on the right side, and people speaking loudly. For me, and I think for the other students as well, it was nice to see prices in figures that we could more easily interpret, ex.) a sandwich costs $5 rather than several hundreds of yen! Although the conversion rate was relatively easy to calculate, I still found myself rethinking some things, especially when prices reached over 1,000 yen, thinking that items were more expensive than they actually were. In a strange sort of way, it is also nice to hear people speaking loudly, rather than hearing complete silence on a crowded train. Despite these differences, I cannot wait to go back to Japan and discover all of the things that this wonderful place has to offer to any curious visitor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment