Monday, May 20, 2013

Lauren VanCour

I never expected to have such an amazing, eye opening experience before boarding the flight in Elmira, NY to our destination Tokyo, Japan. Since I have been in Japan, not only have I been having the time of my life, but I have also been learning so much about the Japanese culture, which I find to be extremely unique and fascinating. The two experiences that have been my favorite and most memorable would be the helicopter tour of Tokyo and the Japanese tea ceremony.  These are two experiences that are once in a lifetime and memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life.
The helicopter tour was an awing experience and it was once in a lifetime.  Ciara and I went together along with my host family.  Michiko, my Mama-san, Ciara, and I went in the Helicopter while Okah-san and Michiko's brother, who was the person who made the arrangements, stayed behind.  When we took off I instantly became excited and nervous.  Once we were in the air I honestly don't even think I blinked because I did not want to miss anything.  We saw all of Tokyo and we recognized some landmarks that we had already been to, such as the largest crosswalk in Shibuya, shopping centers in Shinjuku, and the Tokyo Tower that we went to our first week in Japan.  Seeing Tokyo from the air made it seem so small, which left a longing feeling of relief because seeing how small it is made me feel closer to home.  When we landed, Ciara and I were both grateful, yet sad that it was over.  It is surely one of the many highlights of this trip and I will never forget it.

As we entered the building where the tea ceremony was held, everyone was extremely anxious and excited because the group had been looking forward to this event.  The kimono I was able to wear was absolutely gorgeous and I felt honored to be able to wear such a beautiful ensemble.  I felt like a geisha or like royalty when the woman was dressing me in my kimono because it is not a familiar experience for me.  During the tea ceremony, everyone was focused and ready to learn how to properly engage in the ceremony. Each person was given a sweet filled with bean paste.  Mine was pink and filled with a bean paste that I did not know.  The instructors told us that eating sweets before the tea will allow us to want bitterness, which the tea could provide.  Afterward, each of us got our own green tea and was instructed to drink it a certain way, which I found to be fascinating.  Bobby, Jen, and I were able to make the tea ourselves when we were all through with the actual ceremony.  It was such an amazing experience to be able to learn the proper technique to Japanese tea making. I will most likely never participate in a tea ceremony again, therefore that is why it was one of the most memorable experiences of the trip for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment