Monday, May 13, 2013

Katie Thompson

This time spent in Japan has taught me many lessons about people in general. My time here has taught me how to cope with cultural differences between the Japanese, and it has even taught me how to deal with differences among other Americans. I think that this time here has made everyone stand back and take time to really realize that all people are different and that maybe it would do everyone well to be more patient with others. The first week the group was a little bit testy because we were all in a little bit of culture shock when we found out that we would be sleeping on the traditional Japanese futons, which are mats that are typically 3 inches thick, directly on the ground. This was maybe the biggest shock for people, which was something that we could either let define our time here, or we could take this experience and make it something that we could adapt to within a few days. Another thing that has been a little bit difficult to adapt to was the extremely different food. Personally, I have had a hard time with some of the differences, for instance, oatmeal does not exist in Japan. My host father only knew what it was because he had spent a lot of time in Tennessee. Some members of the group have been very adventurous and really take this opportunity and trying all kinds of new things - I really envy their courageousness! Overall, this trip has really been incredible and I feel very lucky to have been part of it. I have learned so much about Japan, the Japanese people, and how they feel about the United States. I have had many interesting discussions with my host father about Japan-U.S. relationships and I always walk away from them with a good feeling. It makes me realize that Japan truly is an ally of the U.S., both on a governmental level and even on a personal level. This time has made me understand that as long as Americans come to Japan with an open mind and open heart, you will never have a hard time finding a friend here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment